The annual European Week of Sport is proving to be hugely successful and it had over 500 events organised throughout the country last year. The events varied in size and scale but had the same aim of getting people active in sport throughout the week.
This year’s European Week of Sport will take place in Ireland between 22nd and 30th September and we want to encourage our clubs to engage with this and use it as an opportunity to showcase all you do in the community but also to get your members and potential future members involved. There will be a number of flagship events taking place like the Great Dublin Bike Ride and the #BeActive Schools Campaign but it would be brilliant to have ladies football activities taking place that week also.
So what do you have to do?
· Decide on event or activity to take place in your club, county or province?
· Register your event at https://www.sportireland.ie/Participation/European-Week-Of-Sport-/ and it will be listed on the Sport Ireland Website
European Week Of Sport – Sport Ireland
The 2018 European Week of Sport and Physical Activity will be celebrated across Ireland from 22nd-30th September 2018. The European Week of Sport takes place between the 22-30 September and aims to promote sport and physical activity across Europe.
· Forward details of your event to firstname.lastname@example.org to allow us to promote also
· Be sure to use #BeActive in promote and report on your event
What can you organise?
Any event can be organised that aims to have people participating in the sport at any stage throughout the week. Some ideas are:
· A Go Games Blitz – juvenile blitz organised by club or county and invite other clubs along to take part
· Gaelic4Mothers&Others Blitz – why not invite some other G4M&O teams along to your club for a fun non-competitive blitz
· Come and Try Day – it is back to school so would your club like to invite new children to come along and try the game
· Street Leagues – encourage new children from the area to get involved by representing their street in fun mini-leagues throughout the week. This can be areas around your community either or why not change it up and have it as an adult league!
There are endless possibilities for getting involved and this is a great opportunity to be part of something special across the country to increase participation in sport. Feel free to share your ideas across our social media channels also and please remember to register your event.